If you tend to sleep on one or both sides during the night, you may be prematurely aging the skin on your face. Sleeping on your sides may lead to the formation of deep, unnatural lines called sleep wrinkles on the chin, cheeks and other areas of the face. Unlike expression lines, which develop from muscle movement in the face and the aging process, you develop sleep wrinkles from lying or pressing your face against the surfaces of your pillows. Your facial skin contorts out of placement, which leads to stretched or pulled skin. Minimize or prevent premature wrinkling in your face with these tips below.
Cleanse Your Skin With Lukewarm Water
The first step in minimizing or preventing sleep wrinkles is to cleanse your face with lukewarm water. Although some sources recommend placing hot or cold water on your skin to wash it, it's better to use lukewarm water instead. Lukewarm water helps loosen up the contaminants on your facial skin without damaging it.
After your rinse your face, use a mild baby soap to wash it. If you don't like baby cleansers, use a facial soap that doesn't contain dyes and harsh chemicals, such as sulfates and alcohol, that wrinkle your skin. Remove the cleanser from your face with warm water before proceeding to the next step.
Massage Your Face With Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil may help soothe your sleep-wrinkled skin by encouraging new cell growth in your skin. The oil also aids in keeping your skin supple and elastic, which helps minimize the signs of premature aging.
To use vitamin E oil properly, follow the steps below:
- Place 3 drops of vitamin E oil in a small bowl, then allow it to warm to room temperature.
- Dip a small cotton round or makeup wedge into the bowl, then apply the oil to your face. Allow the oil to soak into the cotton round or wedge.
- Begin applying the oil to your forehead, then work your way down to your chin and jawline. Use light and gentle circular motions to cover all of your skin.
- Wait 5 minutes for the oil to absorb into your skin, then rinse the residual oil away with warm water.
- Dry your face with a soft towel, or you may gently blot the oil away with a paper towel.
Practice the steps above for at least two weeks. Although the results may vary, you may begin to notice fewer sleep wrinkles in your skin during this time.
If your sleep wrinkles don't go away after the allotted time above, or if you develop more lines in your face, speak to a skin specialist today. There may be other treatments available to you that lift and tone your facial skin. Visit http://www.myplasticsurgerygroup.com for more information.